Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The power of young people to always suprise.

So normally, I'm kind of a Nihilist when it comes to other people or expecting them to do anything beyond watch TV, play the lotto and eat cheeseburgers. I'm a street punk and I live in America so that's understandable. I am also Much older than the average student in our student body. I'm going for my masters, many of them are still doing their B.A. and I just didn't think they would relate to well. So anyway, when I said I'd help run the adoption info desk at my school I didn't expect much or anything from the student body. I mean they are college kids, they would even consider adoption as an option so why waste the time.

I could not believe the number of people who came and just wanted basic questions answered or to tell us that they were adopted or had a family member would was adopted. It was really invigorating to see so many with so much interest. We even received a few referrals for future contact about being a foster parent or adoptive contact by DHS. It was mind blowing. At that age I was nowhere near the idea of even being alive beyond age 25 and yet these 18-22 year old kids wanted to know about becoming resource parents and kinship and full on adoption. Mind blowing.

One strange aspect about today though was the repeated mention of a musical group called The dropkick Murphy's and a song titled: "The state of Massachusetts" I investigated it and its about the process that many of us have seen the kids have to go through. I asked the students if they knew if the band had any adoption history and they didn't know so I cant say if the band works from experience but it sure sounds like it to me.


It just goes to show how the viewpoint of adoption is no longer just for married people or people in their thirties. Educated, driven young people are interested and very open to taking in the lost generation of children out there. Go job young people! I am impressed.

3 comments:

  1. Pssst...it's "SuRprise".

    And the contraction "It's" is "It is".

    The word "its" is possessive.

    How is that future Master's Degree going? I'm guessing English 101 was challenging for you. Grammar and spelling elude you, just like compassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How embarrassing for me. I' need to fix those right away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wes,

    You seem to be under a colossal miscomprehension that all children lost to adoption were adopted due to mothers who were, in your own crude words, “fuck-ups”.

    This is simply untrue. And it remains untrue regardless of what you choose to believe. Your venomous attacks on me and mothers like me through my blog and now this post is simply unfounded, untrue and ignorant. You offer no evidence to back up your claims and yet I have a mammoth pile of court papers/documents to prove what I say.

    You also like to dictate to mothers their stories. Pray tell, who are you to know all stories and fabricate lies? Why do you feel the need to stoop to such a gutter level as to lash out and viciously attack women who are mothers and also other adoptees just because we do not ‘toe your line’? You claim here that we are not open to discussion or conversation unless we completely agree with you yet that simply is not true and again you base those claims on your own actions. I did not seek you out, nor did I even know of your existence until you disgraced yourself by attacking other people (who happen to be a mix of mothers, adult adoptees and adoptive parents) on my blog.

    As it says on my own blog, I am happy to enter into civil discussion however when you refer to me and others as a “fuck-up”, then I feel you are incapable of entering any real decent discussion and thus have no time for you and your shallow antics.

    Your knowledge of adoption is so very limited and you fight against adoption reform. That in itself is, quite frankly, the stupidest thing I have ever read. Why would you be against anything that seeks to improve a dysfunctional system for the sake of children? To me that immediately proves you do not care about the children involved in adoption but are in this for your own sake. If you did care at all about the children you claim to love, then you would be their and our, biggest ally – not declaring yourself as “the face of your enemy”. How do you expect to get anywhere with that sort of language and attack?

    If you took the time to read any of the adoptees’ comments on my blog whilst you were busy trying to dictate my and our stories, you may have noticed a comment regarding a movement by adoptive fathers who are seeking to help adopted children – not hinder them. Perhaps you should go back and read that comment and take the time to read the books mentioned.

    If after all this you still want to carry on your merry way attacking people you have never met without any knowledge of what you are talking about, and creating a shallow movement that has no substantiality to it then please do so in your time and in your blog. I will continue to fight the bigotry and hatred I see spewed forth by persons as yourself regardless and at the end of the day, if you are unable to address me with respect and dignity, then I will simply delete your comments so no one else has to deal with them.

    Yours truly,
    A mother of adoption loss who was proved fit to raise her child and only lost her through shady dealings.

    ReplyDelete